Saddened today to discover half a dozen dead eels at the mouth of the Waiorongomai Stream. Each eel was about a metre long. I’ve been researching eels but am unsure if they’re Longfin or Shortfin.
Some information about eels:
- Amazing Facts About Longfin Eels | Forest and Bird
- Eels: New Zealand freshwater fish (DoC) — see quote below
- Freshwater eels in New Zealand: Eels (DoC)
- Freshwater Eels PDF
How to tell apart the three species of freshwater eels in New Zealand - each species is unique in its own way.
At first glance, all New Zealand freshwater eels look the same, but there are three species:
- Longfin eel. Conservation status: At Risk- Declining. Found only in New Zealand.
- Shortfin eel. Conservation status: Not Threatened. Found in New Zealand, Australia and some Pacific Islands.
- Spotted eel. A visitor from Australia.